Using Mayatomr: Normal Displacement
Normal displacement is displacement relative to the surface normal. Heres a quick tutorial for using normal displacement with Mayatomr.
- Base mesh (created by down-res’ing a high-res reference mesh)
- Normal displacement map (exported with values that match the base mesh to the reference mesh)
Open Maya; import base mesh; apply material shader. Typically your base mesh will have a low poly count:
From the material’s shadingEngine, attach a displacement shader.
shadingEngine > Shading Group Attributes > Dispacement mat. [map button]
Select the “File” node from prompt and load the correct displacement map. Note: Maya automatically creates a displacementShader between the shading group and the file node. Because normal displacement only requires a scalar (greyscale) value, the file node connects to the displacementShader via it’s alpha channel. “Alpha Is Luminance” has also been enabled so that the alpha is the average of the RGB channels. Set the file node’s Filter Type to Off.
file > File Attributes > Filter Type = Off
This is important because you do not want Maya to try and interpolated displacement samples. If you render now, you’ll get an interesting looking result.
The reason the image looks like this is because the displacement map is only 8-bit. Mental ray expects negative values to be inward displacement, positive values to be outward displacement, and zero to be neutral displacement. Because 8-bit images only map to positive values (0.0 to 1.0), the sculpting application has exported a displacement map where 0.5 corresponds to neutral. Offsetting the alpha by that amount (subtracting) will adjust for difference.
file > Color Balance > Alpha Offset = -0.5
You will most likely want to leave Alpha Offset at 0.0 for 32-bit/floating-point displacement maps (depending on how it was exported).
The mesh still does not match. Here’s why:
- The base mesh still has hard normals causing the displacement to open up seams as it pushes the surface outward.
- As soon as you attach a displacement shader, Mayatomr “helps” users by applying a length-distance-angle approximation to the polygon surface. This is not ideal.
We can fix both these problems by turning the mesh into a Catmull-Clark subdivision surface (ccmesh). Using the approximation editor, apply a parametric subdivision to the surface. By default, applying this approximation triggers Mayatomr to export the object as a ccmesh.
Window > Rendering Editors > mental ray > Approximation Editor
mental ray Approximation Editor > Subdivisions (Polygons and Subd. Surfaces) > Create
mentalraySubdivApprox > Subdivision Surface Quality > Approx Method = Parametric
The seams have closed up, however the mesh has lost all detail. The shadows look particularly bad because of the low triangle count. Increasing the number of subdivisions will bring back detail. To match the reference mesh, set N Subdivisions = N(reference) – N(base), in this case 5 – 1 = 4.
Lower N Subdivisions result in a loss of detail.
Larger N Subdivisions may cause visual artifacts as you exceeded the resolution of the displacement map (displacement map pixels become visible).
Unfortunately, normal displacement is inherently limited in the geometry it can describe. For modern workflows (and the my next blog post!) use vector displacement.
Posted on November 26, 2013, in displacement, maya, surfaces and tagged displacement, maya, mental ray. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.
Quick question, I did not see a mention of the “Feature Displacement” option in Maya. When rendering geometry I usually turn this off and then apply the subdivision approximation. In my experience rendering with that on caused some pre-compute time that was not necessary. Can you verify the validity of this experience?
Also I noticed on older projects, there were some strange issues with CCmesh and seams.
Do you know if these are still problems?
Displacement seams are an effect of poor precision in the program exporting them (along UV seams). Mental ray can interpolate across these seams to solve them using a registry value turned on:
You have a very nice way of presenting step by step instructions. Can I nag you to post about Vector Displacement map techniques. I can only get as far as applying the map but I’m always left with seems along the UV borders. Maybe it’s the way I’m exporting from ZBrush, but my attempts with Mudbox result in the same problem. I don’t know where the source of the problem begins…. the exporting or the mentalray approximation type and settings, the UV borders / smoothed or non-smoothed UVs…. ARGH!! Cheers