More mental ray news from GTC
More announcements from GTC regarding the future of mental ray.
- The Material Definition Language is coming to mental ray, opening the doors to many advanced features!
- This means material importance sampling to compliment Light Importance Sampling to give you Multiple Importance Sampling (MIS)
- Easily constructed layered BSDFs like the Layering Library giving you a continued workflow.
- The ability to use measured data and more as part of the MDL specification.
- MDL has also made parts of the specification available to the public. Keep an eye on official sources for more on accessing MDL specifications.
(Slated for mental ray version 3.13)
Posted on March 27, 2014, in Uncategorized and tagged gtc. Bookmark the permalink. 10 Comments.
This is incredible and really fantastic news, I can’t wait to see these puppies in action in Mental Ray! Awesome job on the MR presentation, btw. For all of the dust and dirt texturing on the train, was that procedural or painted?
That was all hand painted. The final product did have some procedural on it for the commercial. Congrats on being part of the keynote!
You are talking about BSDF layered shader.
Does this mean mila shaders will change to bsdf model ?
Basically: yes. This will also mean interoperability with iray and the potential for easier integration of Light Path Expressions. On top of this, GPU features become easier to use, making use of the CPU and GPU together.
Does it mean we will get different Specular model with MDL, or is it slated for later ?
And how about the new lights shaders or we still going to use “Portal Light” ?
The Layering Library (mila) and MDL will be very similar. Mila already has a more accurate specular model than the mia material. Lights are also specified in MDL as emission distribution functions (edf). So there would be new light functions.
Pingback: VFX on the GPU | elemental ray
Pingback: nVidia iray in Maya 2014 *update: iray layered material (MDL)* | elemental ray
Pingback: MILA tip and trick – Dispersion | elemental ray
Pingback: MDL Spec Released | elemental ray