(More information can be found on the official mental ray blog here.)
It’s been mentioned that the Application Manager has been making the mental ray update available before the corresponding Service Pack and this may have caused mental ray to break until the Service Pack is installed. In this case the mental ray plug update relies on the corresponding Service Pack. The Application Manager doesn’t know this. This may not always be the case that there is a corresponding Maya update. I am not sure how Autodesk will make this work in the future.
For those of you upgrading to Maya 2015 Service Pack 2 and updating mental ray there are some things to know:
- Maya 2015 was released with a flaw in the node ids for mental ray materials that was fixed in SP2. This may break some of your scenes. I suggest waiting to upgrade until your projects are complete in SP1 or begin new ones in SP2.
- There is a possible problem with the .mod file when you update causing mental ray to fail to load. Look here for a solution from Autodesk.
You may also find performance improvements in MILA rendering.
Note that this is an important release for a few reasons:
- You see an update of mental ray inside Maya which was previously very rare
- The MOD file bug is an important part of working out the kinks in making mental ray reliably update as a separate Maya plug-in
- Autodesk’s commitment to more frequent updates to mental ray will mean more changes and fixes available to users earlier, making Maya a more valuable package for rendering
Thanks to the users that pushed for this change, Autodesk and NVIDIA can now react to requests and complaints with more agility than before with mental ray.
More to come….